Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TEFL


       Although I would love to spend the rest of my time in Costa Rica doing nothing other than playing, I have another goal to accomplish.  The second “speak” of my journey is English.   Part of the original plan was to become TEFL certified,  (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) which would mean I would be certified and skilled to teach English as a second language anywhere in the world. I wouldn’t need to be able to speak the language of the country I would be teaching in, because I would be speaking English the entire time.  This new skill in my tool belt would allow me to travel anywhere in the world and earn a living teaching English.  The four week certification course can be taken in many locations all over the world, even in the United States, but aha! There is a training center in Quepos. (not a coincidence)
       I was sitting on my terrace with my laptop, filling out the application for certification.  I’d always heard this was a very intense program, with lots of homework, lesson planning, and very little sleep. There was actually a place in the application where we had to assure them that we were of sound body and mind, and all of our domestic affairs were in order, so we would be able to complete the course. Yikes, this could be scarier than a 90 ft. repel drop.
       I sat with my finger on the send button.  Hmmm…  this means I would be giving up 4 weeks; one complete month in paradise. I wouldn’t be enjoying my view, my hammock, or my peace and quiet.  I only have a short time here.  Did I really want to give it up to sit in a classroom? Could I give up trips down to the beach, and watching the monkeys come home every night?
       Now, I do realize that none of you are crying for me right now.  I know this sounds ridiculous, as I put it into print, but still, this is my time - for the very first time.  No. I must go forward.  TEFL was the plan, and it is a good plan, a worthy goal and part of a bigger dream. Paradise will still be here, but this opportunity for me, may not.
       I took my left hand and quickly smacked it down on top of that finger. Before I could change my mind, the application went out.


TEFL in Quepos
Our building with classrooms
view from one of the classrooms

another view from class, the mountains instead of the beach



OK, so this is not so bad


No comments:

Post a Comment