Friday, November 5, 2010

Moving Day

My Spanish classes were ending and so was my term with Bileida and Anibal. It was time for me to leave the nest and look for my own place to live. I made appointments and looked at several places that would suffice, but I just wasn’t finding the right place and time was running short. At school during break, David inquired about how the search was going. “Exactly what is it you are looking for?” He asked. “Well, the vision I had in my head when I imagined this trip was a place with a view of the beach, and a hammock, but I can’t seem to find it.” He said, (and he is very wise), “Don’t settle. Why shouldn’t you have your dream? You should. And so should others, but I am afraid they usually give up too easily.” “Thank you for the encouragement. I’ll keep looking.”

We all went back to class and Charlie announced that we would read the local magazine that had just come out, and discuss it in Spanish. He flipped open the latest issue of the Quepolandia, and it landed on a full-page ad about a villa for rent in Manuel Antonio. Charlie shouted, “Lucetta, look! It has a view and a hammock!” It seemed really nice, so I told Charlie I would call about it that afternoon. He said, “I think you should call right now before it’s gone.” PamEla offered up her phone, and I had an appointment to see it that very afternoon.

The villa was beautiful, affordable, and the view was stunning. The place was set up on a hillside overlooking Manuel Antonio National Park. It was fully furnished, and when I toured the bedroom I went to the closet to check it out, and there, where my clothes would have been, was a washer and a dryer! “Hot water too?” I asked. “Yes.” “I’ll take it!” I yelled immediately. “I’ll take it today and pay you whatever you need for deposit.” Lineth, (my new land lord) laughed and said. “Why don’t you move instead in two days? I have a lady coming to clean up the remodeling dust.” “Si, claro, gracias!“ Of course, thank you!

On Friday afternoon I stopped by the farmers market in Quepos on the way home. I bought an Orchid and some fresh pastries as a gift for Bileida and Anibal. I packed my two bags and said good-bye to my tiny room with the slatted door. I was sad that this phase of my journey was coming to an end, but excited to have my own space. I went downstairs with my gifts to find that a large group of extended family had gathered to say their farewells – even though I was only moving a few miles away. Bileida and I both had tears in our eyes as we hugged. This had truly been a special experience for me. Anibal hugged me, laughed, and called me Gato Negro one more time. I worked my way around the room with kisses on the cheek for everyone. The last ones in line were my Tico brother Michael, and his wife. Michael hugged me and said, “My parents want me to tell you they adore you. They say you have been a wonderful guest and you must come back to their home for dinner very often.”

He grinned.

You speak English



VERY

GOOD

ENGLISH






my english speaking brother and mom, Bileida

the view from my terrace

No comments:

Post a Comment