Thursday, November 11, 2010

recess


       There are so many cool things to do in Costa Rica, that I could live here for a very long time and never get through the list.   There are tours available for excursions to river raft, kayak, zip line, and repel.  You can go to see the active volcano, hot springs, a cloud forest, surf, and more.  One of my favorites though, is the simplest.  Running on the beach in the solitude of dawn creates an explosion of joy in my heart, and I look forward to this several times a week. 
       If you ask me about my favorite play day in Manuel Antonio, it would be the day some of my friends and I hiked to the waterfall.  It was a rugged hike about 45 minutes into the rain forest.  It followed a stream, and much of the time we were hiking in the stream itself.  You couldn’t find this waterfall on your own. You could only get there if someone took you who knew where it was.  There were little pieces of cloth tied to the trees, which a previous hiker must have placed to find their way out.  This wasn’t a tourist destination.  It was mostly the Tico’s own beautiful secret.  This is what I consider to be quintessential Costa Rica. The waterfall was about 25-30 ft. high, and once you are there you can jump off into the pool that swirls below.  Keep your shoes on though because then you have to climb back up to do it again.  It was Katrina’s birthday and we stayed for four hours that day because we had paradise all to ourselves.
       My next favorite day was to a 90 ft waterfall. This was an amazing adventure with a professional guide. We climbed up the middle of the waterfall and repelled down.  It was frightening and exhilarating all at the same time! The way down the mountain afterwards was a free fall jump of about 30 feet. Scary! They did not tell me about that little fact in the beginning. As a part of the excursion, the tour guide took us to his home afterwards, where his wife prepared a most delicious meal for us.  I highly recommend you put this on your “must do” list if you are ever fortunate enough to find yourself in the area.
       And then there is always the dancing…







favorite day

view from the top

two friends make the climb back up

No comments:

Post a Comment