Saturday, October 8, 2011

cape of good hope

       I reached a goal. I made it to the southernmost point of the continent of Africa. To give you an idea of how large this continent actually is; I started halfway down the eastern side and still traveled over 4000 miles. I went about the same distance as driving from Seattle, Washington to Costa Rica! Crazy big. At the southern tip is Cape Peninsula, the meeting point of the Pacific and Indian Oceans, the Cape of Good Hope, a light house, numerous animals, and towering mountains.


       This is the adorable South African Black Footed Penguin.  They appear to be very social, which makes them fun to watch. They breed in colonies yet are monogamous. They return to the same spot each year to breed, and it must seem like a huge reunion. The average lifespan is 10 to 27 years! The most amazing thing though, is that the pattern of spots on their chest is completely unique to each one, as a fingerprint is to us.
Where is everyone?

penguin conference
Fred, did you get the jpeg I sent of last year?

I'll go check

Hmm,  guess that wasn't indigestion

Hank, mandatory meeting, get your tux up and let's go.


Good to see everyone again. Ok listen up...


Dude check out her spots, she's gorgeous!

Act cool man, just act cool.
No, really baby, you're the only one for me.

Home again yippee!











ouch


Chacma Baboons
Water mongoose


       I came down here to be no one, to be invisible.  To have no demands placed on me, no one needing me night and day. No one bringing their emotional needs for me to carry, shoulder, and return only when the owners were capable. I ran away. Away, literally, as far as I could go from the United States of America. More so, I ran from the rat race of the great surpass, of needing to watch this, study that, own more, keep up, and stay on top. The unspoken translation is: conformity by up-sell. You know this. The same happens to you. It keeps you awake at night and makes you want to run away sometimes too.  Well, evidently I did just that and here I am, at a southern tip of the earth.  I reached the goal, and guess what drifted ashore?

Nothingness.
Just like I wanted.
I took a long deep breath          expecting        something        anything.  
A revelation maybe?    A new lease on life?      But do you know what I found?

Emptiness.

Complete and utter blankness.

       It had nothing to do with the scenery, which was gorgeous; it had nothing to do with the number of people, there were plenty. It had everything to do with my life. Lacking aspiration I was just coasting daily, creating a void.  As much as we think we want utopia in a world with no responsibilities, the truth is, that is the very thing that makes us alive and human. It is what sets us apart from the universe. The ability to carry another's burdens, show compassion, work to change the world, give hope, lend a hand, and sacrifice for the things we believe in. These are the privileges we are afforded.  It costs us, yes.  The price is vulnerability, change and at times disappointment, heartache, and fear.  The reward; not remaining stuck, breaking useless patterns, and living with meaning, which then leads to a deliberate life full of merit. I realize now that responsibility and purpose are spirit enhancers not soul crushers, and that a life without them makes one a desolate vessel.
        God designed me with my own set of fingerprints.  I forgot how cool this is. I am unique. I should value this, treasure it, and not let it go to waste. My very uniqueness is my greatest asset, and should be used for something bigger than me.  Not in a way of conforming, or in someone else's version of who I should be, but in a way that is true to my authentic self. I will search for purpose, direction and my true north.  If my intentions are pure, I am certain I will find them.  No more running. It seems no coincidence that my serendipitous realization came the day I wrapped myself up in a cape of good hope.






No comments:

Post a Comment