Saturday, March 5, 2011

Starbucks beware

Cross Cultural Solutions does a brilliant job of exposing us to as many parts of Tanzania as time allows.Volunteering is only half of the objective of CCS.  Their goal is twofold. They want Africa to get to know us, and for us to get to know Africa.  Often they would load us up in the vans and we'd take off on an adventure.

First stop is the Baobab Tree. This tree can provide food, shelter, and water for animals and humans.  The bark is fire resistant, and is used for cloth and rope.  It bears fruit called monkey bread, which is rich in vitamin C. Leaves are used for condiments and medicines. The older trees are hollow and provide shelter.  It can also store hundreds of liters of water which can be tapped during dry periods.
Hmmm, wonder how much the rent is...
Then we went to a blacksmith's shop where the spears of the Chagga Tribe are made.
Traditional Chagga Hut
We learned how the Chagga Tribe lived in their villages.  We also went spelunking down into their caves to see how they hid from warring tribes. One clever thing I learned was they would fold a banana leaf and place it above the door of their hut as a message to visitors.  If it was folded one way, it meant, 'I’m home, and you are welcome.'  Another fold, and it was 'I’m gone but I’ll be back shortly.'  Lastly, 'I’m gone for a long time, don’t wait for me.'  Another leaf, left by the visitor said, 'I was here.'  Is this the beginning of voice mail?



Did you know coffee actually comes from a berry?  I didn't.  Coffee starts as a berry and has the bean inside.  We went to Oscars home, which is a small coffee plantation in the foothills of Kilimanjaro.  He taught us how to make the best coffee we'd ever tasted.  

 
We picked the berries from the tree
this machine separates the berry from the bean

Oscar sifts the beans to remove the bad parts
coffee beans are stirred constantly for 20 minutes over the fire, roasting them to perfection
cooling time
grinding

mmmmmmm... a latte to go please

Afterward, pumped up on caffeine, Oscar led us on a hike to a spiritual place for his village,
a huge waterfall




on the way




Notice the people in the lower right hand corner
for a perspective on how high the waterfall is.
Stunning




African Artists are everywhere in Tanzania.  There are so many beautiful things here to capture on canvas.  One day CCS brought two artists to home base to teach us the process of Batik, which is a very popular art form here.  The Artist's brought all the supplies: paint, wax, canvas, and an iron.  They explained the lengthy process of waxing and painting, waxing and painting.  I decided to opt out of this activity because I cannot draw.  I am in awe of anyone who can bring a scene to life through brushstrokes or a pen.  When I see a blank canvas, I am paralyzed.  I can bring a stage to life, by writing and directing, or tell a story through film and editing, but I cannot move a pencil across a piece of paper and create a picture.  I just can’t.  My roomies informed me that I would not miss out on any opportunity that CCS offered, so I’d better just sit myself in the chair.  Reluctantly, I picked up my pencil at stared at the canvas for a good thirty seconds.  In another ten, I had drawn one arched line across the center. 
       “Done.”  I announced to my table. 
       “What?!” 
       “No way!” 
       “What in the world did you draw? Show us.” 
       I turned my canvas around and proudly stated, 'Kilimanjaro.'  They laughed and talked about how ridiculous I was.  



3 comments:

  1. Of course you find more coffee :). I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! wonder if I could get a built-in coffee machine in my baobab tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am heading to Ghana in November and your post just got me more excited! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete