Friday, January 21, 2011

twende

      My alarm went off and I found myself tangled in sheets and a mosquito net. The bottom sheet, for some mysterious reason, did not go all the way to the end of the bed.  It's not fitted, rather it is a small flat sheet which is tucked in on the sides, and it didn't reach but to my shins. Consequently, the sheets bunched up all night and I mostly slept on mattress.  I somehow managed to untangle myself from the web and tried to get a handle on the butterflies in my stomach.  It was my first day on the job, and I had no idea what that might entail. I knew that my placement was at WEECE, Women's Education and Economic Center, and that WEECE worked with women, helping them to start village community banks where they could take out micro loans, and start a business. I also knew they ran a small vocational school for teenagers who wouldn't otherwise be able to attend school.  CCS is very good about matching volunteer skills with each placement, and this seemed like the perfect fit for my resume.
       The van pulled out of CCS at 7:30 am with Abby and I on board.  Abby had already been at WEECE for several months, and on the way she filled me in.
       "Mama Mrema is one of the founders and is also the director of WEECE.  She is WEECE. In fact, if something ever happened to her, it could conceivably fall apart. Anyway, she's determined, driven, and down right intimidating, but I love her because she also has a quick wit and a funny sense of humor.  She's African, but had the good fortune to complete her studies in Canada and Germany, and then returned to use her knowledge to make a difference in her beloved Tanzania.  Wait until you see what she's accomplished."
       "She's scary, huh?" It was all I had latched onto because everything in my world seemed scary."                      
       "Yes, very," she laughed.
       We banged on a huge metal door, and a young woman in a school uniform, opened it from the other side. "Karibuni" You are both welcomed.  We entered a courtyard which was being swept with a tree branch, by another student.  We were led to a small sitting area off to the side and told to please wait. We watched as students all over the compound cleaned and scrubbed, mopping the floors by hand with a rag while bent over in half.  From around the building I heard a soft voice say,
       "Good morning Mama Mrema."
       A large voice boomed back, "What's so good about this morning?! Tell me!"
       The young girl jumped back just a bit, but I could see as Mama came around the corner that she had a huge grin on her face.
       "Well," the girl stammered, "Kilimanjaro has poked her face out to say hello, and maybe the rains will come this afternoon and we will be blessed." She stood with her hands clasped nervously behind her back.
       "Well then, I guess it is a good day. Very good English." Her congratulatory slap on the back sent the girl's frail body into the wall, which went largely unnoticed because she had already turned to me.
       "And what do we have here? A new volunteer?"
        Abby chimed in, "Yes Mama, this is Lucetta from America."
        She shook my hand, and held it.
        "Well, you are most welcome here.  Thank you for coming."
       At that moment, three ladies emerged from around the corner, and a four wheel drive pulled into the courtyard. Mama Mrema glanced up.
       "Ah, I see we are ready. Abby, you stay here to teach the girls English, and Computers too, because we have electricity today.  Tell CCS that Lucetta from America won't be back until dinner." She looked at me.
       "You.  Do you have water?"
       "Yes ma'am."
       "Twende." Let's go.


cleaning comes first in the mornings
learning a new song for the graduation ceremony

students share computers in a class taught by volunteers

The skill of sewing, in Africa, can support them for life.
Notice they are using a foot pump machine because they rarely have electricity.

3 comments:

  1. when I come back to the states, I will teach you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh! Can I join in on the sewing lessons? I can bring a seam ripper ;)

    ReplyDelete